New terrain - more streams

Here are my latest two boards, designed to expand my Wagram terrain into a more generic set of terrain tiles. The streams have been given the same treatment on their banks as the existing boards, so I though I'd list the materials used. First is the rough grass matting produced by Noch in their Gaugemaster range, this is also what I use on figure bases:
Then the bushes/clump foliage from woodland scenics. I use the bushes on figure bases to denote troop quality (1-5 bushes per base):

and this odd-looking stuff from Hornby:


Lastly, I make up a "scatter" to use on swampy areas made from the dust from the Hornby stuff above and the turf scatter below:

I hope this is of some interest. I seem to get quite a few questions about terrain but honestly I do tend to make it up as I go along!
cheers




Comments

  1. Very impressive Steve, wish I had the room...oh, well. I haven't seen your previous posts on the subject and wondered what are the terrain boards made from - MDF, ply? Love the finished effect though - beats a green cloth any day!

    Best wishes,
    Monty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monty

    I wouldn't claim to having too much space myself. Terrain construction happens in my garage, doing 1 or 2 boards at a time.

    The material is 15mm dense polystyrene from craftfoam.co.uk

    cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice boards Steve , saw them at Salute and thought they complimented the figures very nicely. By the way is it just flock on the main boards or a textured paint with acrylic dry brushing? Forgot to ask you at the time.

    Cheers
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob

    Just a coating of PVA and fine sand, painted and dry-brushed.

    cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, cheers Steve . I will get some craftfoam and try a couple of boards.


    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. With respect to your terrain boards do you glue the polystyrene to anything to provide additional strength? If not have you had edges chipped or damaged?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't glue the polystyrene to anything, but I do use reinforcing tape and electrical tape on the edges to give some protection. The sand/glue also helps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment